Village mourns death of six killed in fresh Mandera attack
07 July 2015, 21:44
Nyeri - Among the 14 people who were killed by Al Shabaab gunmen in Mandera Tuesday morning, six were from Gathathini village in Kieni East sub-county, Nyeri County.
They were killed at Soko Mbuzi village after Al Shabaab militia hurled explosives outside their houses, killing 14 and injuring 11 others.
The victims were between 25 and 40 years of age.
They were working in quarries in the area, according to families and local Deputy County Commissioner, James Chacha.
Chacha named the victims as Zacharia Wambugu Ndung’u, Charles Macharia, Samuel Kinyua alias Lawrence Kanyiri, Charles Njiiri, Joseph Karumba and Peter Warui.
Read Also: Al Shabaab hurled explosives in houses as people slept, killing 14
The fresh mourning mood has hit the village barely eight months after burying their 18 sons who were also killed as they slept last year.
Magdalene Wanjiru, mother to one of the victims, Charles Njiiri, said his son went Mandera to look for greener pastures.
“He was my only son and he had five children. He was the bread winner for the family. He was innocent,” said wailing Magdalene at her home near Chaka Township.
She narrated that Njiiri, 40, was working in local quarries before moving to Mandera four years ago, adding that in Mandera they were earning thrice the wages they were earning locally.
His widowed wife could not talk to the media as other villagers gathered at the homestead to condole with them, while others travelled Nairobi to help with the body identification exercise.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.