Uproar as Form Four candidates' names miss in KCSE list
17 September 2014, 20:54
Migori - About 47 candidates at a private school in Migori County got a rude shock of their lives after they learnt that they had not been enrolled for this year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exams.
The irate candidates at Santa Nazarene Secondary School in Awendo sub-County consequently stormed the school Tuesday morning to know their fate even as they confirmed to the press that they had fully paid the registration fees to their Head teacher.
They said the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) officials visited the school last week apparently to investigate their case only realize Tuesday morning that their names were missing from the list of enrolled candidates.
The school Head teacher, Nazarene Otieno Omar was however not in the school when the candidates stormed his office but was said to be allegedly in hiding since Thursday last week.
Efforts by reporters to reach him through his cell phone also proved futile as his line consistently remained engaged.
The students who spoke in Awendo town said they became suspicious of the school management early last month when one of their teachers resigned complaining of huge salary arrears owed to them by the school.
“By this time, it had not hit us that we might have been cheated in exam enrollment until Thursday last week when reports started reaching us that the Principal had not submitted our exam fees to KNEC,” said one of the students.
But it was only Tuesday morning that they confirmed their exam tragedy.
Also Read: CID
officers probe MP over Migori chaos
Some of them had even completed paying the fee for the whole year including KES 7 000 exam fees and now want the government to intervene and help them sit the exams due to start next month.
The local education office was however non-committal on the issue when contacted to clear the air on the students’ plight.
An official at the office, who declined to be quoted because he is not allowed to comment on such serious matters, said the office had informed KNEC of the anomaly on time and there was nothing they could now offer to bail out the candidates.
“It is now too late to correct the mistake but the only assurance we can give to the students and their parents is that the Head teacher will be traced, arrested and punished accordingly,” said the official.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.