Uhuru planning to steal US votes, CORD claims
27 April 2015, 17:50
Nairobi - The CORD coalition has accused president Uhuru Kenyatta of plotting to steal the 2017 elections by opening polling stations in the United States of America.
The coalition has rubbished the plans to open five consulates in the States and use them as polling stations for the 2017 General Elections, stating that it is a plot to swing the elections in his favour come the elections.
The plan was announced Saturday in the US by Foreign Affairs CS Amina Mohammed and US ambassador Robinson Githae who stated that the large Kenyan population in the US needed to be considered come elections.
It is estimated that there are 2 million Kenyans in the diaspora, with the US taking a large chunk of those outside the country's borders.
Dallas, Texas, Boston, Massachusetts, Atlanta, Georgia, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Seattle, Washington have been chosen by the government as polling stations for the coming election, Githae announced last week.
The government has in the meantime said it will open consulates in Dallas, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle and Chicago.
Orange Democratic Movement ODM chairman in the meantime termed the proposed move by the government as sinister.
" We will not agree with the move. It is clear the Jubilee government is looking for underhand means to rig the election," he told News24.
" First off, we have not been asked about the proposed new polling stations as political parties. Second, I have it in certainty that the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission IEBC too has not been consulted," he added.
" How are we to agree with such a move if we have not been asked and we are players. Why is the government sneaking it in," he posed?
On his part though, Leader of Majority in the National Assembly Aden Duale said that plans have been underway for years to allow persons in the diaspora vote including the last by elections.
" The plan has been in the pipeline even before the 2013 elections. There is nothing sinister," he said.
Mbadi said that it was important that such a complex plan be treated with utmost care and that until that happens, ODM and CORD will not allow it take place.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.