Siblings tragically perish in house fire
16 August 2013, 14:01
Nyeri - Two children perished after their house was razed by fire on Thursday night at Kiawara-Majengo slums in Nyeri town.
The siblings aged three and 12 years old had been left in the room by their mother who had gone to a nearby shop but on returning, she found the timber plot on fire.
The 12-year-old was a class six pupil at DEB Primary School in Nyeri town while her brother was in daycare.
The two were burnt beyond recognition during the 7.00pm incident that reduced the whole plot of 11 semi-permanent rental rooms to ashes.
The cause of the fire was not immediately established though residents suspected it could have emerged from a gas cylinder since there was an explosion before the fire spread.
Members of the public, police and fire fighters from the former Nyeri Municipal council helped to put off the fire though the fire brigade arrived late.
Police moved the remains of the two minors to Nyeri Provincial General Hospital mortuary.
An eyewitness, Amos Muchiri, who was the first to arrive at the scene said the fire started from one of the timber houses and spread very fast to the surrounding areas.
The residents blamed the fire brigade department for slow response and urged the county government to come up with a disaster management faculty that is fully equipped to handle such cases.
The fire fighters in the region had rushed to Ihururu in Tetu Sub-County to put off another fire that had broken out in a residential home. In the Tetu incident, no life was lost but nothing could be rescued.
Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.