Two hardcore criminals gunned down
04 September 2013, 11:48
Two gangsters were gunned down on Tuesday night by the police at Arba-Kesogon village on the outskirts of Kitale town in Trans Nzoia County after an exchange of fire.
Two AK 47 riffles and more than 500 rounds of ammunition were recovered at the scene.
The gang, a police report indicates, has been terrorising residents of the larger Trans Nzoia County and Eldoret town for months and were being pursued by the security officers.
Local residents disclosed that the two escaped death narrowly last month after officers from the elite squad sprayed three other members of the gang with bullets last month killing them on the spot.
County police commandant Lillian Okembo who confirmed the incident said that community policing and a tip off from the members of the public propelled the investigations that she said assisted immensely in the operation.
“We want to thank the public for volunteering information as it has helped the security agents avert the soaring crime in the county,” she said.
She said that the two, 36-year-old Samuel Wabuge Soita and 24-year-old Moses Lukhombo Chebukosia were overpowered by the police in the shootout spree after refusing to surrender. She added that other members were able to escape via a narrow window of their house and confirmed that Police are pursuing them.
“Police officers received information that the gang members were hiding in a house but on arriving there, the gang members started threatening the officers with death prompting the officers to open fire, killing the two on the spot,” added Okembo.
She said that the hard core criminals were planning a series of raids within Kitale town, which was also to include the killing of police officers.
After searching the Samuel wabuge, the County Commandant said they found a death certificate serial number 451264 in his pockets. The death certificate had been issued at Kitale district hospital on August 22 and indicated that the person had died on August 17.
The death certificate was used in a court case against the deceased at an Eldoret court where he had been charged with robbery with violence. The case was later dismissed and the wife, Brenda Mwanche, was the one who signed for the certificate.
“We are surprised that public servants are helping criminals escape justice,” Okembo lamented, adding that security officers are investigating the case and soon the culprit would be arrested.
More than 20 people have been killed in the County this year in crime-related incidents which prompted the County governor Patrick Khaemba to ask for the services of the elite squad to quell crime in the area.
The incident comes barely a day after police officers nabbed five robbers with household good worth KES 500 000 at Matisi village near Kitale town.
Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.