Two charged for Makueni shootings
26 September 2014, 19:10
Nairobi - Two men have been charged for the chaos that took place in Makueni that saw six people shot and injured.
The two were charged at the Makueni Law Courts Friday for unlawfully injuring people using firearms.
The two, John Muthoka, the county Speaker’s bodyguard and Francis Gaitho, assigned to the Majority Leader, appeared before Acting Principal
Magistrate Richard Koech and denied the charges.
Muthoka was further accused of unlawful possession of extra 9mm
ammunition, a charge he also denied.
The two were involved in the melee after a huge crowd descended on them during a demonstration to protests the planned impeachment of Governor Kivutha Kibwana.
Both were released on a KES 50,000 cash bail and a bond of KES 100,000 each.
A member of the public Amos Mwanzia, was also charged and accused of malicious damage, and creating disturbance
by shouting and throwing stones during the trouble.
Read also: Makueni County likely to crash and burn
He was released on a cash bail of KES 20,000 and a bond of KES 60,000.
Since then, there has been talk the County Government being dissolved after Kibwana admitted that he had lost control of County affairs.
He said that people against his rule in the County had stalled operations at the County Assembly and thus simple things could not be achieved as a result.
" If things do not change we will be forced to ask the president to dissolve the county government, he said Friday.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.