Transport CS says new traffic laws still in operation
15 April 2014, 13:35
Nairobi - Transport and Infrastructure Cabinet Secretary, Eng. Michael Kamau has warned drivers to adhere to newly implemented traffic regulations lest they risk prosecution.
Kamau said that the High Court's ruling was against the removal of carriers on top of the vehicles but other regulations remain operational to curb road carnage.
"The government is committed to reducing road accidents and drivers who will defy the new traffic rules following the court's ruling risk facing the law," Kamau said at a press conference in response to the High Court's verdict.
"The court only rejected the removal of carriers from vehicles but other regulations have to be observed. We have managed to arrest many rogue drivers, arraigned in court and so far raised about KES 14 million from fines," he added.
Kamau also stated that public vehicle owners should ensure that their vehicles are equipped with digital speed governors and well maintained to reduce road carnage.
The CS is set to appear in court on May 14, 2014 to answer to litigation charges in the ruled traffic case.
The newly implemented traffic rules require PSV owners to run the business under a registered Sacco with a minimum of 30 vehicles, install digital speed governors in their vehicles among other laws.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.