Trans Nzoia leaders fast abandoning the electorate
15 May 2013, 12:25
Trans Nzoia citizens were pregnant with expectation in the new county leadership but just a few days into leadership, their hopes seem to be fading away because of the following reasons:
- Lack of transparency in hiring. While other Counties advertised all their posts in the local dailies, Trans Nzoia County only advertised the posts of the Chairperson, Secretary and Public service board. The County Executives have since been picked under unclear circumstances and a good number are hardly known by the public.
- The county leadership seems to be arm-twisted by the MYOOTI, a Kalenjin council of elders in charge of appointments to county jobs.
- The tycoons who financed the elections are also involved in this circus because they want to see to it that those appointed are friendly to them and will not interfere with their 'deals'.
- AIC bishops and pastors took charge of the process as they conspired with MYOOTI to ensure that one of their own was eventually picked as the deputy Governor.
- The ‘in-laws’ of the top leader are also involved in pulling the strings since they helped fund the campaigns.
- Our top County leaders have been quiet on the surging insecurity. Who will speak for the county if it's top leadership is mum?
- The top leadership also kept off the issue of fertilizer prices.
The grand question Trans Nzoia Residents are now asking is; Will the County realise anything tangible in 100 days if this docility remains in place? Remember there is a court case, which might rule in any direction.
Trans Nzoia voters want to feel their leaders; transparency, fairness and accountability are what they want.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.