Traders count loses after fire guts shops, stalls
06 January 2015, 08:26
Murang'a - Traders at Gacharage shopping centre in Kandara constituency, Murang’a County are counting losses after an inferno gutted down their business stalls and shops.
The fire that started around 2am on Sunday reduced all items stocked in the wooden stalls to ashes as residents were unable to salvage anything.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electric fault.
James Kimani, an affected trader who operated a welding business said that he lost property worth KES 500, 000 including equipment belonging to his customers.
Also read: Fire guts down a shopping mall in Nakuru
He said a nearby electricity power transformer had been having problems for long time and their pleas to Kenya Power Company workers to have the problem fixed have never been addressed.
Kimani said they were unable to salvage anything due to strong winds that fanned the fire to spread faster.
He accused fire fighters of incompetence and for arriving three hours after everything had been consumed by the fire.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.