Three die of sewer gas poisoning
28 May 2013, 13:04
Three people died while three others escaped death after inhaling poisonous gas as they were emptying a sewer manhole at Joharis restaurant in Malindi town over the weekend.
Two of the deceased died at the scene of the incident while the third one died at Malindi district hospital where he was undergoing treatment.
According to eye witnesses, the six men arrived at the restaurant premises and started working on the sewer manhole.
It is claimed that the six used their generator to remove some of the waste from the manhole and then decided to remove the remaining waste manually.
Joharis restaurant management told the media that the deceased people were dry sewage since they had already pumped the liquid one when the incident occurred.
Kali Said , a brother to two of the deceased, claimed that the team leader got inside the pit so fast and then stopped communicating with the rest, prompting his colleagues to send another person to see what was going on inside.
“The second person got in and also went silent. His colleagues who were waiting outside then decided to send the third person,” Said narrated.
He said that they tied the third person him on his waist with a rope before dropping him inside where he found their two colleagues dead.
The restaurant management claimed that they had to use force to disperse the three other men who also wanted to get in the manhole, a move they said would have seen the six men dead because of the poisonous gas from the sewage chamber which they were cleaning.
Fire brigade and Police officers were then called to remove the two bodies while the third person who was unconscious was taken to hospital where he died.
The bodies of the three were later taken to one of Malindi private hospitals.
Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.