TV stations remain off air as analogue ruling postponed
20 February 2015, 14:23
Nairobi - Kenyans will have to wait longer to find out if four TV stations will return to analogue signal after a court ruling on the matter was postponed.
The ruling, to decide on a plea in which activist Okiya Omtatah had sued the Communications Authority of Kenya CA as well as the ICT ministry for switching off analogue signal in many parts of the country has been postponed to Monday.
It was to be made Friday but judge Weldon Korir ruled that the matter could not be ruled on until the CA and ICT ministry are served with the suit papers.
He thus ordered the matter heard Monday.
Omtatah is seeking for the return of analogue signal as he says that Kenyans are in the dark following the switch to digital platform.
Omtatah insists that the switch-off has affected the most popular TV stations in the country, NTV, KTN, Citizen TV and QTV, meaning that Kenyans could not be informed as is their constitutional rights.
The four stations are seeking until June 17, 2015, the final day of worldwide analogue digital migration to allow the stations as well as Kenyans be able to shift to the other platforms.
The stations are seeking time to bring in their own set top boxes which they say will be affordable to Kenyans but the Supreme Court in a ruling last week, said that they must adhere to timelines set by the CA for movement to the digital platform.
The stations were switched off Saturday last week and have since been broadcasting online.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.