Suspected Kaloleni police camp raiders charged
22 December 2014, 16:04
Kilifi - The Mombasa law court has charged 53 men suspected to have raided a police camp in Kaloleni within Kilifi County last month for being members of the outlawed Mombasa Republican Council.
Harun Ndurya, and 52 others denied the charges before principal magistrate Richard Odenyo. It was alleged that on different dates between December 14 and 16 at Mnarani, Mutsengo and Palakum were found associating with the MRC.
The accused also denied a second count of robbery with violence where they are alleged to have robbed a police officer of a G3 rifle on December 11, 2014 while armed with machetes and axes. They were also charged with attacking police officers in Kiranani area.
In a sworn affidavit, the investigating officer chief inspector, Philip Mwakia prayed the court not to release the accused on bail since there is a likelihood of them interferring with the ongoing investigations.
Mwakia informed the court that one police constable, Samora Dima, is still admitted at the hospital following the attacks.
Read Also: Four sentenced for funding Somalia's Al Shabaab
The assistant Director of Public Prosecutions, Alexander Muteti and Principal Prosecution Officer, Peter Kiprop also asked the court not to release the accused on bail since investigation into the matter was still in progress.
Muteti said the accused were dangerous and could instigate more crime and attacks if released, and prayed the court to remand the accused for 10 days.
“The accused are suspected to be behind the string of attacks in Kaloleni and its environs, and there is a possibility of them initiating more attacks,” said Muteti.
Kiprop argued that there is a possibility of the accused absconding the court because they are faced serious offenses and also interfering with the witnesses.
However, their lawyer Wycliffe Makasembo objected the sate application to have the accused detained in police custody.
He said the prosecution had not presented any evidence to suggest that the accused are dangerous people and would interfere with the investigations.
“My clients are Kenyans and have a right to be released on bail pending the hearing and determination of their case," he said.
Magistrate Odenyo will give a ruling on December 24, 2014.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.