Suspected JKIA robbers released on bail
27 September 2014, 11:12
Mombasa - Four men including a police officer arrested at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) last week for over charges of robbery with violence have been released on bail.
The four; Charles Mulwa, Patrick Shiundu, Joseph Ndilu Mbugua and Raphael Kemboi Rotich denied five counts of robbery before Resident Magistrate Irene Ruguru.
They were charged that on September 17 along Jomo Kenyatta Avenue Mombasa County with others not before court while armed with dangerous weapons namely a pistol, a pair of handcuffs and police communication radio robbed Paul Oduor Odhiambo of KES 1.1 million cash, a nokia phone valued at KES10 000 and at the time of the robbery used actual violence on the complainant.
Raphael Kemboi and Joseph Ndilu were also charged that on April 24 near Mombasa Security Fund building, they robbed Michael Muramba Ngundo of KES 269 400 and at the time of the robbery used actual violence.
They were also charged with robbing Emanuel Charo Tune of cash worth KES 91 220 on May 9 at Khoja flats in Mombasa city, and afterwards used actual violence on him. They were also charged that on the sama date they robbed Rashid Karisa Khatsoma of KES 7 000.
Read Also: Suspected thugs arrested at JKIA denied bail
Meanwhile, Raphael Kemboi was charged with handling stolen goods on September 20 at JKIA. It is alleged that the accused was found in possession of one mobile phone property of George Irungu knowing that it was unlawfully obtained.
Prosecutor Eunice Maingi objected bond application made by the defense lawyer Gerald Magalo.
“Your Honor the police have extended their investigation to Kwale County and the four are required in Kwale for interrogation,” said Maingi.
However, Magolo objected the application stating that the accused had already been charged and the police had also been given ample time to conduct their investigations.
“There is no nay compelling reason to continue holding the accused in police custody; it’s unlawfully to deny an a cussed person right to bail,” said Magolo.
They were released on KES 1 million bond each for every count and will appear in court on November 19, for hearing of the case. The others will appear on December 3.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.