Suspected Al Shabaab sympathiser confesses to causing false terror alarm
13 October 2015, 12:49
Nakuru - A suspected Al Shabaab sympathizer, Robert Mungai told investigators that he was the owner of the Facebook account used to spread a false terror alarm, a Nakuru court heard Monday.
Corporal Solomon Limo, an anti-terror expert told Senior Principal Magistrate Liz Gicheha that Mungai confessed to Criminal Investigation detectives that he was the owner of the account that posted the terror alarm targeting Egerton University.
The officer was testifying in a terror case facing Mungai, watchman at a Njoro Evangelical Church.
“We realized that the account from which the message originated belonged to him during interrogations at Njoro police station,” said Limo.
21-year-old Mungai, alias Mohamed Bluez, has denied posting threatening messages on the Egerton University (Main campus Njoro) Facebook ‘Campus Life’ page.
The alleged hoax that came at the wake of the Garissa University attack, suggested that the Al Shabaab terror group had obtained a map of the university to assist them in the raid that was allegedly going to be "worse than what hit Garissa University college."
Read Also: Suspected Al Shabaab gunmen kidnap teacher in Dabaab
The accused is said to have committed the offence on April 4.
However, the accused's lawyer, David Mongeri put the witness to task requiring him to explain to the court why an anti-terror crime report of the incident was generated on April 20, despite the fact that the offence had been committed on April 4.
Mongeri also told the court that the young man’s account may have been hacked before the message was posted.
A security officer at the University, Hillary Korir who also testified in court, narrated how the security department liased with CID officers to have the accused arrested following the threatening message.
He told court that the message spread like bush fire, causing panic in the institution.
Mungai, who was arrested on April 8 after police placed a KES 2 million bounty on his head, has been in remand as he could not raise a KES 750 000 bond.
The court slated further hearing of the case for November 3.
Three more witnesses among them terrorism detectives are lined up to testify in the case.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.