Students sleep in the cold after fire razes their dorm
09 October 2013, 18:12
Bungoma - Property worth millions went up in smoke after a dormitory at St. Stephens Sikusi High School in Bungoma County went up in flames Tuesday evening in what is suspected to be an electric fault.
The school Principal, Richard Sabwami, said that the dormitory housing 180 students was reduced to ashes in the blaze that began shortly after 7.30 pm, forcing the students to spent the night in the cold having lost their beddings and other belongings.
“Ten students were in the building at the time of the incident, but luckily they all managed to escape to safety. The affected students are now being housed in the dining hall,” said Sabwami.
Bungoma governor, Kenneth Lusaka, made an emergency visit to the school on Wednesday and donated KES 300 000 for the purchase of beds, mattresses and blankets for the affected students to avoid closure of the institution.
"It is a traumatising time but we have to move on. We need to investigate and bring the incidence of power surges that is causing school fires in the County to halt. We are also writing to the national disaster fund for further assistance to enable the school forge ahead with preparations for the national and end term examinations," the governor told students and teachers at the school.
Sabwami said the school's boards of governors will hold a crisis meeting to chart the way forward but appealed for assistance from well wishers in the meantime.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.