A form four student tried to commit suicide by swallowing a concentrated acid. The student, who cannot is not able to swallow anything due to pain and the severe contraction of the gullet was admitted at the Nyahururu district hospital.
For the last seven days or so, he has been surviving only on water fed through a vein in his wrist. It was understood that the special water had to be bought, and that his auntie with who he lives Nyahururu’s Maina slum, was financially constrained to raise the money. He is a student at the public Munyaka Day Secondary School in the village.
The Kinangop Mission Hospital had admitted him for eight days earlier, feeding him only on the water, before discharging him. A medical source said that Samuel Wambugu requires a cardia-thoracic surgery, which can only be done either at The Kenya national and Referral Hospital or the Moi referral Hospital in Eldoret.
The student’s Principal, John Mwangi, said that the boy had suddenly swallowed the acid as the Chemistry teacher and other students were doing busy with the lesson in the laboratory.
“After gulping up the acid, be dashed out of the lab before anybody knew what was happening, but collapsed at the school gate. We rushed him to the Nyahururu district hospital where and was admitted in a critical condition,” said Mr. Mwangi.
The principal termed the incident as unfortunate, adding that the student could have been suffering from a kind of depression.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.