Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all DareelEric's badges.

Stigma, discrimination and denial still high amongst AIDs patients

03 July 2014, 10:44 Dareel Eric

Vihiga - Vihiga County director of health, Quido Ahindukha, has raised concern over the stigma, discrimination and denial which is still high among people infected with HIV in the region.

Dr Ahindukha said that many children suffering from HIV and AIDs in the county are being denied treatment by their parents, who at the same time do not want to accept their status.

He noted that health facilities in the county were recording low numbers of children seeking for medical attention as compared to the adults suffering from HIV and AIDs.

"Statistics reveal that 1 300 children from the county are HIV positive. Out of this number only 769 are being frequently brought for medication in our health facilities," said Ahindukha.

He spoke during the County Consultative Forum on HIV and AIDs, which was organised to formulate a new strategic framework in the fight against the disease.  

Elizabeth Akaranga, who attended the forum, said that she was working towards helping women who are tasked with taking care of such victims.

"Women are hit hard by effects of HIV and Aids because they are left with the burden of taking care of victims with meagre resources and I am collaborating with the county with the view of helping those with such responsibilities," she said.

Ahindukha said more than 19 628 children in the county are orphaned by HIV and AIDs, adding that 9 618 of the orphans lead a poor and miserable life.

"Out of this number of poor children, only 769 which consists of 41 percent get assistance from the cash transfer programme," he said.

The National AIDs Control Council urged the county governments to take up sponsorship of programmes aimed at reducing new HIV infections as most donors were pulling out.

“With the ending of some sponsorship by the start of this new financial year, NACC will have its budget reduced by over 70 percent. The remaining 30 percent cannot sustain the set goals, as it may end up in the recurrent expenditure alone,” Edwin Lwanya of NACC said.

He said that to ensure that every HIV infected individual - adults and children - are on effective treatment, there needs to be mechanisms for mobilisation of sufficient resources.

“We are glad that Governor Moses Akaranga of Vihiga has accepted and shown a commitment in the fight against HIV, and want to encourage many other people to help fund the activities here in the county,” he said.         

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Types of men that are a waste of ...

Most women end up heartbroken because they were trying to convince the wrong man to be in a relationship/ marriage. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Cheating is hardwork!

Cheating, although enjoyable by the person doing it initially, it gets to a point they start realizing that it was never even worth it. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Dating that one person that socie...

Works at a massage parlour. Works at Millionaires Club (that one on Baricho road) - you know the ones I am talking about. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM rebels sweat in Kisii as Oran...

ODM rebels are sweating in Kisii after the Orange Party won by elections despite concerted efforts by the ruling Jubilee Party to win the elections. Read more...