Sonko dismisses child negligence claims
18 August 2014, 14:53
Kwale - Embattled Nairobi Senator, Mike Mbuvi Sonko has dismissed child negligence claims by his estranged wife, Josephine Thuku.
Making his submission before Kwale Resident Magistrate Christine Njagi, Sonko through his lawyer Kwamboka said that he struggles to help the applicant to raise her two children, knowing very well the second son is not his.
The lawyer told the court that the defendant is ready for a DNA test to establish the biological father of the second child if she presses for more money.
Thuku had applied for interim maintenance of the children saying she was sick and unable to provide for them.
She wanted KES 140 000 monthly for maintenance of the children saying that she had undergone appendix operation, making it difficult for her to work and provide for the minors.
Thuku told the court that the defendant has been providing for the children on and off, inconveniencing her since the children also need tuition fees during the holiday period.
Thuku had accused Sonko of delaying the case by failing to appear in court last month yet the minors are in dire need of help.
Lawyer Kwamboka in response said that Sonko had made arrangements with Nakumatt Nyali branch for the applicant to access groceries, in addition to paying for the minors’ fees to date.
Sonko said the woman has not shown interest in giving the children parental care as she moves from one club to another spending money, yet maintenance requires input of both parents.
“No provision of maintenance is to be in monetary forms. Rent should not be an issue because the applicant lives in her mother’s house and does not pay KES 20 000 rent as claimed. Defendant used to give her money but it never went to the children,” argued the lawyer.
Thuku however told the court that Sonko was lying since she was not aware of Nakumatt issue, adding that the house she lives in is not hers but a rental house.
“I am not idle; my tenders are still pending at the County government waiting for approval,” said Thuku.
However, Sonko in a written submission disclosed that the father to Thukus’ second-born is an army officer who has admitted to providing for his child.
He said, “The applicant should not take orders to compel me to provide for the aforesaid minor against my wish.”
The two are expected to table their written submissions in court on August 27, 2014.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.