Six in hospital for consuming poisoned porridge
09 March 2015, 22:22
Embu - A family of six in Embu has been admitted in hospital after consuming poisoned porridge.
The six, whose condition has now stabilised, were admitted at the Embu Level Five Hospital after consuming the porridge at their home in Ithithe village, Embu North sub-County.
This is not the first time such an incident occurred in the County, as another family was late last year admitted in hospital after consuming porridge believed to have been made from flour laced with aflatoxin.
And although health officers visited the home and took samples of the porridge for laboratory tests, residents are now worried about the safety and hygiene of the flour available for purchase in the shops.
Read Also: Woman fined KES 25 000 for stocking poison in her chemist
Ann Wanjovi, a relative of the affected family, said the six complained of illness about 30 minutes after eating the porridge.
“But I saw health officers take samples of the porridge, though we still don’t know what could have been in the porridge,” she said.
In a similar incident on December 20 two years ago, 21 people were taken to hospital in critical condition after taking poisoned porridge at Gituara village in Embu.
The porridge had been served in a get-together ceremony.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.