Six hospitalized after eating poisoned meat in Murang'a
25 April 2015, 17:08
Murang'a - Six people have been admitted to Maragua Sub-County hospital in Murang’a County after they allegedly consumed poisoned meat.
Twenty five others who developed stomach complications after they consumed the meat were treated and discharged from the hospital.
They started to vomit shortly after they consumed the meat sourced from a local butchery at Kabati trading centre.
Maragua Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr. Stephen Ngige said one of the victims is in a critical condition adding that his colleagues will be discharged after observation.
Ngige said the patients had severe food poisoning but majority were in stable condition after they received treatment on time.
The incident prompted local health officers to carry out inspection of all butcheries and eateries in the area where several traders were arrested for being unhygienic.
Murang’a County Public Health officer Paul Kamau said they have collected sample of the meat being supplied in the area for analysis.
“Most of the meat sold in this area is supplied from Nairobi slaughter houses and we suspect the meat that the affected people consumed was not inspected and that is what we want to establish from the samples we have collected,” Kamau said.
He said the owner of the butchery that sold the meat has been arrested.
Local residents accused the county government of carrying out inspection only on liquor outlets leaving butcheries and hotels to continue operating in unhealthy premises.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.