Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

Safaricom ready to face demons of surveilance tender

07 June 2014, 09:51 Victor Tinto

Nairobi - Safaricom is ready to face a parliamentary probe over the KES 15 billion surveillance tender with the government, saying it has nothing to hide over the controversial deal.

The deal has come under increased scrutiny from MPs who term the decision by the government to not advertise the tender, a breach of procurement laws.

Currently, the tender has been suspended by the parliamentary committee on Security and Administration to effect a probe.

For Safaricom though, the move has been taken in its stride, with CEO Bob Collymore saying that for the best interests of the public, the deal be scrutinized appropriately.

" As a company, we see no harm in parliament doing its duty on the award of the tender to Safaricom LTD. It is their duty to do so, he said.

" Further, we as a company would like to see it as a way of helping the deal gain public acceptance in the end and we will offer full cooperation to the parliamentary committee as and when it is needed, he said.

The Parliamentary Committee on Administration and National Security in suspending the tender, demanded the immediate suspension of the contract in which Safaricom was to supply of an Integrated Public Safety Communications and Surveillance System.

Committee Chairman Asman Kamama said the project will only be implemented after Parliament gives it a clean bill of health.

Cabinet Secretary in-charge of internal security Joseph Ole Lenku had been put on the spot as to why the contracts were single-sourced and not put through a competitive tendering process, answers to which the committee felt were not convincing enough.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on
 Twitter and like our Facebook page!

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...