Ruto ICC fate pushed to August
12 July 2015, 17:21
Nairobi - Deputy President William Ruto's fate at the International Criminal Court ICC will be known in August instead of the earlier planned for July.
The presiding judges in Ruto and journalist Joshua Sang's Crimes Against Humanity case were to rule next week on whether they would allow chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda to administer evidence that has since been retracted by witnesses in the case.
However, they have now decided to do so after the summer break which now pushed the matter all the way to August.
The Summer break kicks off Thursday 16 July.
" Our hope or aim, rather, is to render our decision before the
beginning of this summer recess, July 16 this year," Presiding Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji had earlier said.
However, victims lawyer Wilfred Nderitu told News24 that the judges had decided to go on summer break first.
" It will be known in August after the summer break,"he said.
Bensouda applied to the judges to be allowed to use the statements of
witnesses who were either declared hostile after being compelled by the
court to testify, while others simply withdrew.
Nonetheless, Ruto and Sang are planning a non admissibility motion to the court, stating that there is no evidence to link them to the charges they have been accused of.
That will now have to wait until after the ruling on Bensouda's application.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.