Raila queries UhuRuto's silence over 'chicken' scandal
23 February 2015, 09:12
Nairobi - CORD leader, Raila Odinga has questioned the silence of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto over the 'chicken scandal' almost a fortnight after the conviction of directors of UK printing firm, Smith and Ouzman.
The call for the two leaders at the helm of the Jubilee administration comes after the Ethics and anti-Corruption Commission questioned top officials of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission and a serving Cabinet secretary.
IEBC chairman Issack Hassan, former IEBC Chief Executive Officer James Oswago, former commissioner Davis Chirchir who is currently the Energy Cabinet Secretary are among those named in the scam.
"President Uhuru Kenyatta is silent; his Deputy Ruto is silent too. Kenyans want to hear them speaking over this matter. They should know their silence will encourage this kind of conduct among officials serving in government," said Odinga.
The former Prime minister who has been on the record calling for the immediate arrest and prosecution of the embattled IEBC officials, said the silence of the president and his deputy over the issue of scandal is worrying.
Speaking on Saturday while presiding over the closing of a Peace and Reconciliation conference at St John Everlasting Gospel Church in Imara Daima, Embakasi South Constituency, Odinga said the embattled officials should step aside and let investigations be done.
Read Also: Oloo: Cord is hypocritical in the fight against graft
"Anybody mentioned in issue to do with graft should not claim they are innocent. In civilized countries when a government official is associated with corruption or something wrong happens under their charge, they resign," he said.
Odinga, who was accompanied by area MP Irshad Sumra and Omondi Anyanga of Nyatike, explained that the fact that directors of the UK Printing firm have already been convicted in a court in England for bribing the IEBC officials should be a reason enough for the polls body officials to step aside.
On Thursday last week, the architect of the scandal, Nicholas Charles Smith was jailed for three years by the Southwark Crown Court while his father, Christopher John Smith was sentenced to 18-month suspended term for his role in the scandal in which top election commission and KNEC officials allegedly pocketed KES 50 million as bribes.
"The architects of the scandal are already serving their jail terms in the UK after thorough investigations. Their accomplices here claim they are innocent. There is no way the duo could be jailed in their mother country if they were innocent. Kenyans want to see heads rolling; they should not be taken for a ride," said Odinga.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.