Raila: CORD rallies will continue
18 June 2014, 17:37
Nairobi - CORD leader Raila Odinga has said that the planned rallies by the coalition will continue despite government rhetoric.
Odinga, who was addressing a press conference Wednesday in Nairobi said that the coalition was within its right to push forward with the rallies.
He also insisted that the Saba Saba Day rally set for July 7, where he has urged Kenyans to down their tools and protest the current state of the nation will continue.
" The rallies will continue as planned, he said.
" Kenyans have spoken of their disgust at the way the country is being run and thus there is no stopping us. It is Kenyans complaining, not CORD.
" Further, the constitution guarantees freedom of speech, expression as well as gathering, so we ask the police to provide relevant security, he added.
Speaking on the government's attack on the coalition and claim that the recent Mpeketoni massacres were politically instigated, Odinga laughed off the accusation, terming the government clueless as regards security in the country.
" That claim is unsubstantiated and totally untrue. It is the reaction of a government that has no clue as to how to deal with security in the country, he said.
" It is sad that the president has chosen to take a route that will divide the country instead of dealing with matters that can unite instead, he added.
He also had a go at Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku's claim that he had crossed the red line as regards destabilizing the country.
" He (Ole Lenku) crossed the line long ago, he retorted.
He also termed the decision by President Uhuru Kenyatta not to sack the country's security chiefs as laughable and ridiculed his and deputy president William Ruto's decision not to travel to Lamu to deal with the Mpeketoni situation as an eye opener to Kenyans.
" The president and his deputy cannot go to Lamu out of fear. So what should Kenyans do if the top two are also unsure of their security?
" The CS, Police boss and other senior bosses of the CID and NIS should all be replaced, he added.
He also did insist that CORD was open to dialogue but only on their terms.
" We are open to dialogue but it must not center on trivial issues. It must deal with the problems affecting Kenyans and the government as well as reasons why the economy is not performing, he said.
President Kenyatta has previously said that he will only agree to talks with the opposition if they have a development agenda.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.