Radicalised Mombasa mosques to be re-opened
26 November 2014, 19:00
Nairobi - Four Mosques closed last week in Mombasa will be re-opened after a working formula was agreed between stakeholders in the region.
The four mosques, Masjid Musa, Sakina, Swafaa and Minah will be re-opened Thursday.
This followed a meeting Wednesday between security chiefs, the county government and local elders.
The elders will take charge of the mosques and ensure that no radical activities take place in the sites.
The mosques were closed last week after police raids exposed the high level of radicalization within them, including the storage of weapons within the mosques.
Over 200 people were arrested in the swoops.
Read also: ‘Terrorism is not religious war’
Despite the re-opening, president Uhuru Kenyatta has again reiterated that the government will not allow radicalization in mosques.
He has also said that the government will not bow down to unnecessary pressure over the matter.
" The task here is that leaders ensure their houses of worship are not abused. If so, the government will have no option but to intervene," he said in Nairobi Wednesday.
He insisted that it was the job of Kenyans to look out for each other and that if they failed to do so, it would be a recipe for disaster.
" We must be our own keepers. We have to take care of each other. It is vital that we do so," he added.
There were planned protests in Mombasa set for Friday if the mosques were not re-opened before prayers on the same day.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.