Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Ken Wekesa's badges.

Police request for more time in Nyali blast probe

04 June 2014, 14:39 Ken Wekesa

Mombasa - Anti-terror police unit in Mombasa have applied to hold Nyali grenade attack suspects for 10 more days as they finalise their investigations into the matter.

The state prosecutor, Eugene Wagila informed chief magistrate, Maxwell Gicheru that the investigation into the matter is complex and would require 10 more days.

Ahmed Abdallah and Nassir Ali Skanda had been in police custody for the last 20 days after the investigating officer successfully filed an affidavit in court requesting the detention of the two till their investigations are complete.

The defense lawyer, Alfred Mabea objected the application stating that it would be unconstitutional to continue holding the accused yet the 20 days requested to conduct investigations are over.

“It’s unconstitutional for the police to continue holding the two in their custody and it’s a violation of the right to bail," said Mabea.

The anti-terror police unit had filed an affidavit earlier sating that the two were linked to high profiled Al Shabaab members based in Somali hence releasing them would jeopardize the ongoing investigation that may stretch to Somalia.

Abdallah and Skanda had on May 9 denied three counts of terrorism after they were found in possession of a terrorism materials. They also denied detonating an explosive device on May 3 at around 9.30pm near Nyali Reef hotel.

Magistrate Gicheru directed the police to submit an affidavit explaining why they requested to continue holding the two in custody for 10 more days.

The ruling of whether the duo will be released on bail is set to be determined on June 4, 2014.

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...