Orphaned black rhino dies of strange infection
10 September 2015, 13:04
Nyeri - A two-year-old orphan black rhino has died at Lewa Wildlife Conservancy after suffering from a strange infection.
The rhino nicknamed Kilifi was being hand-raised alongside three others after his mother was killed by poachers.
Kilifi's death was caused by Clostridium perfringens, a lethal bacteria that normally kills within four hours from the onset of signs, indicated a statement from the Conservancy.
Kilifi died in the early morning, leading to the conclusion that the infection had spread at night as the baby rhino slept.
“Despite our vet’s greatest efforts, the rhino succumbed to the effects of endotoxin. This infection is the first case ever recorded at Lewa,” the statement read in part.
Read Also: KWS halts black rhino relocation after three dead
“We are currently giving the other three orphans antibiotics for short-term protection, with plans to have annual polyvalent vaccines as a long-term deterrent.
"We are thankful that in his two years with us, Kilifi was a symbol of rhino curiosity, energy and inquisitiveness,” added the statement.
The orphaned rhino was one of the favourite animals at Lewa.
The Conservancy is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and features on the IUCN international Green List of successful protected areas.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.