Opposition concerned by government's silence over teen's murder
29 August 2014, 14:29
Kwale - The opposition has raised concerns over silence government's silence regarding the killing of a 14-year-old pupil by police Kinango last week.
Former Vice President and CORD co-Principal, Kalonzo Musyoka, said such impunity cannot be tolerated in the era of a new constitution.
Speaking at Ukunda Show ground in Kwale on Thursday during the official opening of Culture fair event, Kalonzo said it is unfortunately that no word has been said by top leaders over the innocent life lost.
“When killing of innocent children happened in USA, President Barrack Obama issued a statement condemning it,” he said, adding that security of citizens is very important.
Kwale Governor Salim Mvurya has also called for thorough investigation into the matter which leaders in the area and the relatives have not yet come to terms with.
“14-year-old child being shot by police claiming she was armed with a panga - seriously? Those are things we cannot accept under the constitution we have,” he noted.
His sentiments came a day after Kwale county commissioner, Evans Achoki, asked locals to stop speculation over the girl's death.
The minor is said to have been shot by police at a close range while at her uncle’s home on Friday morning when they raided his house.
It is alleged that they (police) shot the girl in self defence after she came out wielding a machete since a similar incident had occurred a week ago at Vigurungani area where one of their officers was injured.
But the family has dismissed the police testimony saying they deliberately killed her and made up the story as cover up for the murder of the Mavirivirini Primary School pupil.
The deceased's mother, Umazi Zani, said her daughter was sleeping when eight armed police officers raided her uncle’s house and knocked down the door before lobbing teargas and opening fire at her.
“There is no way my daughter could have woken up and picked a panga in self defence since she was asleep when police entered the house,” she said.
The family now wants the body of their daughter exhumed for investigations to be done since police hurriedly buried her with help of local administrators claiming to be relatives.
Speaking at Leisure Lodge Resort, Achoki asked locals to stick to the police version of the story saying officers who raided the home of the deceased know better than anyone else.
“What we were saying is that the child came welding a machete because that is what the officers who conducted the operation stated,” he said.
Achoki said those complaining have a right to use three available channels through the police internal affairs department, independent policing oversight authority and also a judicial process to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the girl's death.
He said those investigating the incident should be given time to give their report instead of trading on speculation.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us onTwitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.