Ole Lenku warns law breaking Matatu touts
05 March 2014, 14:50
Nairobi - Internal Security cabinet secretary Joseph Ole Lenku has warned striking matatu touts who are keen to cause trouble that the government will deal with them exponentially.
The matatu operators blocked roads on Wednesday morning to protest increased parking fee by the Nairobi County government. The move caused a massive traffic jam in the city and ensured plenty of people got to work late in the morning.
Later on though, the operators wrecked havoc on city streets by waylaying pedestrians and distracting others who were minding their day to day businesses.
And despite several court cases by matatu owners
failing to stop the charges from being implemented by the county
government, they have proceeded to halt operations in the capital city.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo had earlier said that the police force would arrest any person found blocking roads and in a move to reassure the public of their safety, Ole Lenku now says that there is no room for trouble-makers.
" We will not tolerate lawbreakers. It is not acceptable to inconvenience
thousands of Kenyans who have to get to work. Let us be considerate. We need to look for ways of solving issues and it is not by breaking the law. That will not be allowed by this government, he said.
Police were busy trying to restore order in the city centre and Ole Lenku added that he hoped they would do it as swiftly as possible.
" We need the city back normal and I urge law enforcing agencies to use their best force to ensure it happens, he added.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.