Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Ken Wekesa's badges.

Norwegian ship owners to sue Kenya for KES 250 million damages

29 September 2015, 13:16 Ken Wekesa

Mombasa - The owner of the Norwegian ship that was held at the Mombasa Port for 8 days is set to sue the Kenyan government for KES 250 million damages incurred during the period.

The Hoegh transporters ship had been linked with illegal shipping of sophisticated weapons and high grade cocaine alleged to have been concealed in the vehicles that were being transported in the ship.

Speaking exclusively to News24 Monday, the lawyers representing the cargo owners’ Cliff Ombeta said they are currently awaiting information from the cargo owners before filing for compensation.

“The ship had delayed and we have paid for the charges during the delay and the owners of the cargos have also complained. We estimate that we will be suing for KES 250 million,” said Ombeta.

Read Also: Police recover firearms from seized Norwegian ship

He said they also intend to sue the Kenyan authorities for tarnishing the company’s name and linking it to trafficking of cocaine and sophisticated weapons.

He also added that they will be suing for unlawful detention of the officers by the Kenyan authorities.

The ship was released last Friday and has embarked on a journey to Tanzania, South Africa, West Africa before heading to Mexico.

The ship had been detained at the at the Mombasa port by a contingent of inter agency officers who stormed the port on September 17 restricting its entry and movement inside the port for hours.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...