No one will be victimized, MP assures striking Port workers
05 July 2015, 08:54
Mombasa - Kwale women Representative, Zainab Chidzuga has said there was no need for the striking workers to panic over their job positions at the Kenya Port Authority following sacking of 28 shop stewards and advertisement for their positions put up.
Speaking exclusively to News24, Chidzuga said the coast parliamentary group led by the Chairman, Gideon Mungaro had already initiated talks with the government over the issue and a solution is expected in the course of next week.
“There is no need to panic. We believe the talks that Mungaro is spearheading will resolve the current situation at the Port and no one will be victimized because of the strike,” said Chidzunga.
She said it was wrong for the Port management to sack the striking workers for fighting for their rights through industrial action which is also constitutional.
Chidzuga said the Saturday recruitment exercise was for formalities since the positions had already been advertised and they had to go on as planned.
Read Also: Port workers strike over NHIF
“We have seen teachers and doctors strike and no one was sacked. Is KPA strike the first? The management needs to treat their workers fairly,” observed Chidzuga.
Her sentiments came after the sacking of 28 shop stewards by the KPA management for participating in the strike to oppose the new NHIF rates, which the management termed illegal.
The General manager Human Resource and administration, Salim Chingabwi said the Port workers were sacked between July 1 and July 2, 2015 for participating in an illegal strike which paralyzed operations at East Africa's biggest port.
The KPA had also gone ahead to write a letter to the sacked workers asking them to surrender the Port property and vacate office.
However, the Dock workers Union Secretary General, Simon Sang said the strike was legal and dismissed the letter terming it null and void, and added that no employee from the Port Authority will be sacked for participating in the strike.
Sang said the Port workers had proposed that the NHIF contribution be deducted from the basic salary and not the gross salary.
On Saturday, the Port management continued with the recruitment exercise at Bandari training college as earlier advertised.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.