Nkaissery finally speaks on Turkana violence
06 May 2015, 18:55
Nairobi - Interior CS Joseph Nkaissery has finally spoken on the violence in Turkana and Pokot that has claimed the lives of over 70 people.
The CS spoke over 48 hours since the violence took place between members of the Pokot and Turkana communities that has seen over 70 people confirmed killed.
In a press conference in Nairobi Wednesday at his Harambee House office, he said an immediate end to the violence was a must and insisted that area leaders as well as key personalities in the two communities would face the law over the matter.
He also insisted that the the country's security forces will conduct a serious operation in the region to forcefully disarm the two communities.
" The violence is unacceptable. We cannot lose innocent Kenyans in this manner. It cannot be tolerated," he said.
" Someone has to answer for this and invariably it falls down to the area leaders because they should know better. They have to take responsibility for these attacks, he added.
He also added that there would be an operation in the area to disarm the two communities.
" There will be an operation in the area. These incidences are uncalled for and action will be taken," he added.
Nkaissery refused to be drawn into the issue of the number of dead, stating that his main worry was that innocent Kenyans died.
There is contradiction galore over the number of people killed in
inter tribal attacks in Turkana, with the Red Cross stating over 70 have died
and police arguing otherwise.
The contradiction has caused Kenyans to react with anger over the government's don't care attitude towards the attacks.
Red Cross stated Wednesday that 73 people had been killed in the
attacks which took place in Nadome area between the Turkana and West
" After a long trek to the scene, our team on the ground has reported 73 people dead. Five critical cases (have been) evacuated to hospital," The Red Cross stated on its Twitter handle.
However, Police on the other hand have played dumb with their figures, with some stating that no people had died in the attacks.
We are still combing the area but so far we have not seen any people
dead," An Administration Police boss told News24 on phone from the area.
" The figures on the ground state that we have no bodies recovered, thus no dead," he added.
statement firmly contradicts that of Rift Valley Regional Coordinator
Osman Warfa who said Tuesday that 44 people had been killed.
" 44 people have been killed and we hear there could be more but we will wait and see from our people on the ground," he stated.
area has been affected over the years by bandit attacks which have been
caused by the communities haggling over dwindling pastures and water
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.