Ngilu, Swazuri, Kidero fail to name 'known' land grabber
20 January 2015, 20:23
Nairobi - Three senior officials have visited the grabbed land in Langata which has caused uproar and promised action on the perpetrators of such actions in future.
But while Kenyans would have wanted names of the person(s) who grabbed the piece of land, a playground belonging to a public primary school revealed, the officials were all not forthcoming with details.
The three, Lands Ministry Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu, National Lands Commission chairman Mohammed Swazuri and Nairobi Governor all visited the piece of land along Langata road Tuesday that was the centre of attention Monday following a chaotic protest by a number of activists and school children.
The three officials have already been condemned by president Uhuru Kenyatta and Kenyans over the episode and they promised to ensure it does not happen again.
" The incident is unfortunate and we have agreed that we will ensure we help other similar schools in Nairobi that have a similar problem deal with the matter and not have such issues in future," Ngilu said at the venue.
Swazuri admitted that more could have been done to prevent the melee that occurred but was also keen to look forward.
" Issues with land are very well documented in the country and this is one such case. It must not happen again and my commission will strive to ensure it does not happen again," he said.
Kidero has been under fire for not doing much to protect the piece of land that had already been fenced off and was being prepared for development.
He also steered clear of naming the person in question, instead focusing on ensuring the episode was solved in future.
" In Nairobi we have 205 primary schools and 84 secondary schools and 60
percent of these schools have the same issue we are facing here. That is
why we are working together with the ministry and the Commission so
that we give title deeds to these schools and then make sure these
schools are fenced to deter people who may want to fence off parts of
it," he said in his defence.
Pressure though over the matter is not ceding any time soon, with some MPs already stating that they will force through the name of the person involved in the land grab in parliament.
It is understood that the company that has claimed the ownership of the land is called Airport View Housing LTD and MPs have insisted that the name of the owner or owners be revealed or they will do so themselves on the floor of the house.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.