NGO steps in to provide medicare in Malindi
09 March 2012, 15:04
Get paid for your content. Send your stories / photos to email@example.com. We will M-Pesa you 300 KES for every submission published!
A non- governmental organization is camping at Malindi District Hospital providing free medical services to patients as the countrywide health workers strike continues despite Medical service Minister Anyang Nyongo warning to fire striking health workers.
Mombasa and Bahari Lions Club are offering free medical services to residents at the district hospital where over 1000 patients were treated and more others were still being treated by Thursday when journalists visited the medical camp.
Zainul Dar, the free medical camp coordinator said they have treated many people and that others were being attended to by their doctors.
He said due to the ongoing health workers strike they were facing challenges since nurses were not available and they were forced to privately hire them for assistance.
Dar however distanced the free medical camp from the ongoing strike saying they had earlier arranged to offer free medical services before health workers took to streets.
“We have privately hired nurses because they are on strike but we are doing well as many patients have been treated. The medical camp has nothing to do with the strike because we had arranged it earlier in advance and nobody new of the strike ahead,” he said.
Addressing journalists at Malindi district Hospital on Thursday Dar said they planned to locate the free medical camp at Malindi district Hospital because many people from rural areas could access the services instead of going to Mombasa for them.
Government needs a permanent solution
He went one to add that they had 6 Doctors and 10 nurses who were attending to the patients.
Dar has however urged the government instead of playing hide and seeking game with lives of Kenyan to come up with a permanent solution to the health workers grievances.
He said it was disappointing to see patients being turned back home because there is no services at governments Hospitals since the strike begun.
“The government should come up with a permanent solution to health workers’ strike because Kenyans are suffering sine the strike begun.
The poor people can’t afford to take their relatives to private Hospital because of the expenses so the may end up dying,” he lamented.
However even after stern warning by Minister for Medical Services Anyang Nyongo when he threatened to fire all health workers boycotting duties, they were still on strike and residents were forced to transfer their patients elsewhere.
A spot check by journalists in the hospital showed that many patients were being transferred to private hospitals and others were discharged and taken home since they were not being attended.
Many of the patients beds in the women wing and men wings in the Hospital were empty a clear indication of patients had been transferred to look for medical services elsewhere.
Malindi district Medical superintendent Morris Buni maintained that health workers in the hospital had resumed to work and that medical services were being offered.
Disclaimer: News24Kenya encourages freedom of speech and the expression of
diverse views. The views of columnists published on News24 are
therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of
Get the latest news by following us on Twitter
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.