Mutuati on Fire
26 March 2012, 07:28
Get paid for your content. Send your stories / photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will M-Pesa you 300 KES for every submission published.
A fire has destroyed property worth hundreds of thousands in Mutuati Shopping Centre, Igembe North.
Confirming the incident the area OCPD Mr Singoei says preliminary investigation indicate that the fire was due to an electrical fault.
According to an eye witness, Kanocia Kithati ,”The fire started in a locked kiosk at ‘Kwa Franko’ plot and quickly spread among the timber buildings as the kiosk was closed at the time.”
The residents broke the kiosk door but their efforts were thwarted by the wind that quickly spread the inferno to neighboring shops.
Isaack Mzalendo an area resident is just grateful that the neighboring district’s fire brigade responded on time.
In the past residents had to call on the Meru fire station that is not only miles away but the fire engines are old and often arrived too late.
Neighboring district, Igembe South Just acquired a fire engine that is currently helping in the dousing of the flames
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.