Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Geoffrey Kimagut's badges.

Move to safer grounds ahead of El Nino rains, Ruto tells Kenyans

07 October 2015, 11:32 Geoffrey Kimagut

Nairobi - Deputy  President William Ruto has asked Kenyans in areas prone to floods and mudslides to move to safe grounds to avoid loss of life at the onset of the El Nino rains.

Ruto said that the every Kenyan must take precautions over possible El Nino rains expected in this month.

He was speaking after touring Narok town to inspect the ongoing flood control works on Tuesday.

The DP was accompanied Water Cabinet Secretary Eugene Wamalwa, Narok Governor Samuel Tunai and National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation Chairman Dr Julius Kones.

" As the El Nino rains approach we ask all Kenyans to heed the advice of the authorities setting up safeguards to prevent loss of lives and property. Those asked to move to safer grounds should do so before the rains start,” said Ruto.

He assured all the citizens that the government was prepared to deal with disasters resulting from the El Nino rains.

While appreciating  the progress Narok county government have made  in the construction of check dams to slow the force of running water and clearing of water paths, Ruto said the state does not want a repeat of the past where lives and properties were lost.

" As a government, we want to make sure we control the situation before it affects our people. We have instructed all the relevant ministries and state departments to fully support the counties," he said.

On his part, Tunai said the town’s drainage system, particularly along the town's main road has also been redone after the floods that ravaged the town in April this year.

He said the county government has set aside KES 200 million to construct a chain of dams and water pans in all the flood prone areas of the county.

The construction of the dams and water-pans is being undertaken jointly by the County Government of Narok and the national government in what marks a landmark in the prevention of floods in Narok.

The Meteorological Department has already issued early warning that the country will experience El Nino phenomenon in the period between October and December. The torrential rains will subside in January next year. 

The El Nino rains experienced in Kenya in 1998 caused a lot of destruction in the country.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto not affected by Peter Ken...

The DP is not affected by the move to join the Jubilee Party by Peter Kenneth. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
2017 countdown: Lots to ponder fo...

The battle for votes ahead of the 2017 elections has taken a mini stage in Kisii during a by-election that is set to show where exactly rivals CORD and Jubilee have peaked. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Close up your party, Jubilee MP t...

Close your party and join Jubilee fully, an MP has urged Peter Kenneth. Read more...