Mother of 3 left homeless as fire guts down house
02 July 2014, 15:40
Nakuru - A family in KANU Estate of Nakuru town was left counting loses after fire gutted down property of unknown value inside their rental house.
The fire, suspected to have been caused by an electric fault, is said to have started at around 10am.
Jane Njeri, whose property was destroyed, said that the fire started a few minutes after she topped up the electricity token.
“Before my son left in the morning, he informed me that the electricity token had expired. After waking up, I immediately purchased a new tocken to top up the old one before engaging in house chores,” said Njeri, a mother of three.
At around 10, she saw some smoke billowing from the bedroom’s window.
“I had a number of equipment in the house, mostly electronics comprising two television sets. My neighbours rushed to help but because the fire was spreading very fast, they only managed to savea few items,” added Njeri.
The Nakuru County fire brigade arrived later and managed to put off the fire.
However, it was not easy for the police to control members of the public who were thirsting to grab the salvaged property.
“Luckily, the incident occurred when we were patrolling KANU street. We managed to keep off some of the youths,” said an Administration Police officer who requested anonymity.
The fire incident comes in the wake of pressure on the county government of Nakuru to invest in fire brigade amidst fast growth of the town and its population.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.