Miss tourism Kwale abandoned in Kiambu
25 February 2015, 17:00
Kwale - Kwale County tourism committee has been tasked to find out why Miss Tourism Kwale County 2014, Stancy Mrabu was abandoned in Kiambu County on Saturday last week after the national miss tourism event.
Stancy was crowed the miss tourism Coast region and ranked number seven countrywide.
Speaker Sammy Ruwa directed the committee to investigate issues raised by Mkongani ward representative Mweruphe Ndoro on Wednesday.
Ndoro said that Miss Tourism has the duty of representing the County in all miss tourism events in the country and wondered why she was abandoned by County officials who accompanied her on February 21 in Kiambu County.
“Miss Tourism County was accompanied by the County government officials to the event but as soon as it was over, she was abandoned in Kiambu with no plans in place to see her return to Kwale,” Ndoro told the assembly.
He demanded to know the budget for miss tourism activities and programs in the County and whoever was responsible for taking care of Stancy affairs.
“Why was miss tourism Kwale who has a one year contract with the County government abandoned in Kiambu during the miss tourism Kenya event?” posed Ndoro.
Speaking outside the assembly building on Wednesday, Ndoro said that the County government had a budget to cater for Miss tourism events from the grassroot level to the national level which needs to be made public.
Read Also: 'Kick me out of ODM', MP dares
“It is very unfortunate that the person who made some County government officials to travel by air to Nairobi and get allowances is the miss tourism who was later abandoned,” said Ndoro.
Ndoro added after intervention of County assembly tourism committee members who had also attended the event, tourism officials sent KES 2 000 to Stancy which was not enough for her transport.
“A taxi from Kiambu to Nairobi costs KES 5 000 and so the KES 2 000 sent was not enough even for her to stay in Nairobi and go back to Kwale. That is why we want to know who was responsible for all this mess," added Ndoro.
He said it was not in order for Stancy to be taken to participate in the national miss tourism finals if there were no funds to cater for her.
“It was not fair to subject the girl to such torture,” said Ndoro.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.