Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

Matatu owners call off Wednesday strike

30 June 2015, 17:06 Victor Tinto

Nairobi - Matatu Owners have called off the strike which had been scheduled for Wednesday to protest stringent rules by the National Transport Safety Authority NTSA.

The owners had over the weekend stated that they would go on strike to protest blanket banning of transport Saccos involved in accidents in the country.

The threat came as a result of the ban on Nairobi's Embassava Transport Sacco of which negotiations to have it lifted by the NTSA are currently ongoing.

The authority last Wednesday suspended operations of the Sacco indefinitely until their vehicles meet certain conditions which the authority says had been flouted by the Sacco.

NTSA Director General Francis Mejja said the operators will only be allowed back on the road after fulfilling conditions set by the authority.

However, the Sacco has complained about generalization by the NTSA saying that only the vehicle that caused the accident as well as the driver be banned.

The sacco has a reported 703 vehicles.

The Sacco was suspended Wednesday after a road crash that involved its bus and another public service vehicle belonging to Forward Sacco, with the Embassava bus driver accused of causing the accident that saw 2 people killed.

The Matatu Owners Association has said it will lead its members in a strike Wednesday if the blanket bans by the NTSA are not reviewed but according to association head Dickson Mbugua, the decision has been annulled.

" We are talking to the NTSA and talks are progressing well, so we have decided to not continue with the strike," Mbugua said Wednesday.

The ban on Embassava has caused a transport crisis in the Eastlands region which depends alot on the Sacco for transport, a stalemate which many hope will soon be ended.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Dating that one person that socie...

Works at a massage parlour. Works at Millionaires Club (that one on Baricho road) - you know the ones I am talking about. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Ruto urges African leaders to shu...

DP William Ruto has called on African nations to shun help from western forces, saying that they can solve their own problems. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Don't be corrupt like your elders...

Shun corruption at all costs, President Uhuru Kenyatta urges Kenyan youth. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Senators order PS to resign over ...

The Senate Health Committee has told Health PS Nicholas Muraguri to resign over the unaccounted for KES 5 billion. Read more...