Mandera terror suspect flown to Nairobi
30 January 2015, 18:35
Nairobi - A man alleged to be behind the killings in Mandera late last year that saw over 60 people murdered has been flown to Nairobi after arrest, police have announced.
28 people were first killed when a bus was attacked while on its way to Nairobi from Mandera and 32 others were killed in a quarry ten days later.
The attacks were claimed by the Al Shabaab terror group.
The man was apparently arrested while on his way to Somalia and Police Spokesman Massoud Mwinyi confirmed that he had been arrested and flown to Nairobi to provide answers to the attacks.
" We have caught up with him and he has been flown to Nairobi. We have been following him closely for a while now and we are happy to have him in custody," he said Friday.
Mwinyi urged vigilance from Kenyans as far as terrorism and insecurity is concerned, saying that they are the eyes of the security authorities.
" I urge Kenyans to remain vigilant. We are on high alert and we are doing our best, but we need Kenyans to help us out," he added.
2014 was a tough year for Kenya's fight with terrorism, as over 200 people died in various attacks across the country, a record Mwinyi says the government is working on improving.
" Our efforts to combat crime and particularly terrorism will continue. As
law enforcement officers, we will endeavour at all times to ensure that
the safety of our citizens remains our number one priority," he added.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.