Man who planned to bomb parliament released
03 August 2015, 16:13
Nairobi - A man who planned to bomb parliament buildings has been released over lack of evidence.
Ali Abdulmajid Ahmed had been arrested for apparently looking to bomb the Parliament buildings but the Prosecution failed to show reasonable reason to continue keeping Ahmed in custody.
Ahmed is a Senate staffer and had been accused of being in contact with terror group Al Shabaab.
He has however been released after the prosecution called the case closed.
" I have instructions to close the file," prosecutor Duncan Ondimu told the Nairobi magistrate's court Monday after the expiry of an
ultimatum it had given the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit to charge him.
The unit had been directed to either charge or free the suspect in light of prolonged mentions of the case in court. Ahmed’s mobile phone, which the prosecutor wanted left with police, will also be returned, as is his KES 100,000 bond, within 24 hours.
Ahmed had denied involvement with radicalization in Nairobi mosques, stating that he was a law abiding citizen and loving Kenyan.
" I feel vindicated and I thank Allah for his blessings and mercies," he said after his release.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.