Man who planned to bomb Parliament returns to work
04 September 2015, 21:30
Nairobi – A Senate staffer accused of plotting to bomb Parliament has been reinstated and is set to report to work on Monday.
Ali Ahmed who was arrested on April 26 following intelligence reports linking him to the Al Shabaab terror group said he was summoned by his employer, the Parliamentary Service Commission to sort out a few issues before reporting to his work officially.
“I was asked to come today (Friday) but I will resume my official duties on Monday,” Ahmed told the press after leaving Parliament.
Ahmed who works as Senate’s Hansard reporter is also the vice chairman of the management the Pumwani Riyadh mosque, that has in the past associated with funding terror activities, was freed on August 3 after the prosecution failed to press charges against him and his file closed.
The CID and Anti-Terror Unit had arrested Ahmed on claims that he had been recruited by Al Shabaab to carry out surveillance to facilitated an attack on the National Assembly.
A Nairobi Resident Magistrate, Eddah Agade who ruled for the release of Ahmed directed the refund of his KES 100 000 cash bail and police to give back his confiscated phone within 24 hours.
The accused had been restrained from leaving the country until the completion of his case and had been ordered to report to Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) offices in Nairobi every Friday.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.