Man electrocuted while siphoning oil from transformer
10 March 2014, 16:03
Nyeri - A man was electrocuted in Mweiga Township, Nyeri county while attempting to siphon oil from a transformer.
The middle-aged man was vandalizing the transformer at the Kenya Power sub-station.
Residents who thronged the scene said it was a lifetime lesson to others who have been vandalizing transformers in the area.
They said they first heard a loud explosion from the sub-station followed by a fire before the whole town was plunged into darkness.
They reported that the deceased’s accomplices escaped after the incident, leaving him hanging on the metal bars holding the transformer.
Police officers later removed the body to Nyeri Provincial General Hospital Mortuar.
Vandalism of transformers and other electricity equipment has been rampant in the Mount Kenya region according to a statement released by the Kenya Power Company in January this year.
The statement indicated that the company had incurred losses amounting to over KES.11 million to vandals in the last six months.
The company’s regional manager, David Mwaniki said 51 transformers had been vandalized by unknown people in the region from July to December last year thus inconveniencing thousands of customers.
He said that Nyeri region was the worst affected with cases of vandalism being reported almost weekly especially within town centres and near large institutions such as colleges.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.