Liz's parents flee home after receiving death threats
16 April 2015, 09:19
Busia - The parents of Busia rape victim, Liz, have fled their home in Butula, a day after three teenagers accused of gang-raping the girl were convicted and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment.
Rural Education and Economic Enhancement Program (REEP) Director, Mary Makokha said Liz's family has vacated their home after allegedly receiving death threats.
“I am appealing to the government to move the family to a safer place over threats on their lives. This matter should not be taken lightly owing to the publicity it had received,” Makokha said.
In a quick rejoinder, Busia County Commissioner, Isaiah Nakoru said he had not received any formal complaints from family members on the alleged death threats.
He called on the family to report the matter to the nearest police station to enable them to launch thorough investigations into the claims.
Nakoru warned people who issue threats on others that they had the legal channels to follow if not content with court's verdict of the six teenagers accused of gang-raping the 16-year-old girl in Butula, Busia County.
Read Also: 3 Busia rapists jailed 15 years for gang rape
Busia Chief Magistrate, Margaret Wambani found the three accused guilty of two counts. They were jailed for 15 years in the first count of gang raping and seven years each in the second count of causing grievous harm on her.
The sentence will run concurrently. Soon after the sentence, the lawyer of the accused, Wycliffe Okuta applied for stay of sentence pending appeal.
However, the Chief Magistrate upheld her earlier ruling and ordered the accused to be remanded in Prison until their appeal was heard and determined.
Okuta said they will move to the High Court on Friday to challenge the ruling, adding that they had enough grounds to overturn the case.
Makokha, whose NGO fights gender and discrimination said she was happy that justice had been done. She was however not happy with the sentence which she termed as lenient.
Liz was attacked and repeatedly raped in June, 2013 as she returned from her grandfather's funeral in Tingolo village in Butula.
More than 1.3 million people signed an online petition demanding that the attackers be prosecuted.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.