Learning disrupted in Malindi
14 March 2012, 12:29
Get paid for your content. Send your stories / photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will M-Pesa you 300 KES for every submission published!
Learning activities at Ngala Memorial Girls Secondary school were paralyzed on Monday when students stormed out of school the school demanding removal of the principal.
Students accused the principal Mercy Mwasamba of being rude and not addressing their problems as well as being involved in devil worshiping activities.
They also claimed she was not in good terms with her junior teachers as well as school management and that they did not want her any more in the school.
They claimed since she took control of the school there has been several incidents of students being possessed and that she was the one behind their suffering.
The irate students are said to have woken up on Sunday at midnight and left the school.
However some complained to their parents on reaching home that they were forced out of the school from their beds by one of their colleague who had masked herself to unrecognition caning them badly.
According to Malindi district deputy education officer Kibamba Nyevu, a group of the students whom she said are mostly form two; three, four and some form ones left the school at midnight.
She said another group left early in the morning for fear of being attacked by the first group.
Nyevu said that there are claims that one student masked herself and started caning her colleagues forcing them out of their beds and to go home.
After the incident parents immediately responded and arrived in the school demanding explanation on what had transpired from teachers since their children could not prompting Parents and teachers Association to meet to solve the issue.
Some parents complained that their children were injured during the incident and were forced to take them to hospital for treatment.
“My child came home only in towel, just imagine from Watamu here to Malindi what if she was attacked? If they want the principal to go let her go and leave our children in peace because there have not been such problems here for long time,” said one of the parents during the meeting.
The Education officer told journalists that they had agreed with parents and teachers to allow all students back as investigations goes on to establish the cause of the strike.
She however noted that those students who will be caught to have been involved in planning to force other students out of the school, disciplinary action will be taken to them.
“We have met parents and PTA and agreed that as we investigate the matter students should be allowed back until we establish the cause and also know what to do about the grievances raised,” she asserted.
The principal however dismissed the claims by students at the crisis meeting on Monday in the school that they were mere allegations without concrete grounds.
She blamed one of the senior teachers in the school saying he is the one who was fueling the strike of the students because they were not in good terms with him.
“There is a teacher whom we are not in good terms and I know he is the one who have fueled all these so that students can raise issues against me,” she said.
The Education officer added that “they may be raising genuine issues but now the way they raise them is not the right means.”
She said they were also investigating the matter which was raise by Board of Governors of the School where they complained that the same principal was not cooperating with them as required.
“We are supposed to meet with the principal this week because all of last week she was not present so that we can see how to solve the matter,” added the education officer.
Disclaimer: News24Kenya encourages freedom of speech and the expression of
diverse views. The views of columnists published on News24 are
therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of
Get the latest news by following us on Twitter
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.