Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Ken Wekesa's badges.

Lamu port land owners receive KES 700 million compensation

11 March 2015, 13:40 Ken Wekesa

Lamu - The second phase of compensating 88 people who were affected by the Lamu port project has kicked off.

The chairman of National Lands Commission, Mohammed Swazuri said that the government had released KES 700 million to compensate some 88 people by Friday this week.

Speaking at Kililana in Lamu, Swazuri said that the government has already released the compensation money which is due to be released to the beneficiaries.

He further said that the government had been forced to delay the release of the funds and even freeze some account after discovering foul play amongst some individuals claiming to be the beneficiaries.

“We were forced to freeze six accounts to allow investigations on how they came into possession of the said land. Some other 12 accounts are riddled with family wrangles and 17 individual gave wrong bank accounts,” said Swazuri.

Read Also: Man in court for burning British developer’s tractor

He said that some individuals were giving conflicting information of their acreage, which has also hindered the disbursement of the funds and hence forcing them to conduct new surveys.

The second batch of compensation comes barely a month after the release of the first batch of KES 860 million that was released to 157 people. Only 122 received their pay as 35 await approval and clearance of their bank accounts.

He however assured the residents that his commission will resolve all the disputes and all the affected families be compensated.

“The government is fully committed to compensate all the affected individuals. The delay has majorly been caused by the verification process and that should not create panic amongst you,” Swazuri said.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...