Kuria fails in bid to gag media
20 July 2015, 17:09
Nairobi - Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria has failed in his bid to stop the media from covering the case in which he is accused of hate speech.
The Nairobi magistrates court has dismissed the Gatundu South MP Moses application Monday, having asked last week that the court bar the media from covering his incitement to violence case.
" The media has the constitutional right to cover any court proceedings," principal magistrate Joyce Gandani said in her ruling on Monday.
The judge stated that the MP had not produced sufficient evidence to warrant his request.
Kuria filed the application to lock out the media Thursday saying he was being "tried and convicted by the press".
The controversial MP appeared in court for the determination of a KES 2 million bail for a previous incitement case, after a controversial video surfaced, provoking further claims against him.
In the video, Kuria is seen telling machete wielding youth to defend the National Youth Service and its projects, saying that they chop down anyone against it.
He has since said that he was misinterpreted and that the media have an agenda against him.
" The media have become a persecution body and decided anything Kuria says is bad and must be looked into," he said of the alleged bias.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.