Kimaiyo will not take blame for Westgate mess
21 September 2014, 10:03
Nairobi - Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo will not take blame for purported failures during the Westgate Mall security operation.
Kimaiyo, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku and Kenya Defence Forces boss Julius Karangi came in for criticism for their handling of the security operation.
Various reports, released during and after the operation blamed security agencies for mishandling the rescue and causing the needless deaths of many, as well as destruction of the mall.
Sources pointed to wrangling between intelligence teams, Regular Police, Administration Police and the KDF during the operation, which worked to the favour of the terrorists.
The three have been under pressure to resign ever since but according to Kimaiyo, those who are making such calls have no experience in handling security operations.
Read also: Kenya's horror of 21 September 2013
He says that he did all that was within his power to ensure a clean operation and says that the teams on the ground did their best, within the law.
" The KDF, Intelligence NIS and Police NPS worked as a team during the operation and continue to do so to this day ", he said Saturday in Nairobi.
" In my view, we worked the situation the best way we could and within the law ", he added.
On whether the operation was a success, Kimaiyo insisted that every situation of that type has its challenges.
" There are different situations and different requirements to each. We did our best to salvage the situation. We cooperated and worked together and my conscience is clean in that regard ", he said.
Read also: Terror at the Kenyan mall - Documentary tells it all
Kimaiyo also says that those calling for his resignation have no nous on matters security.
" This stories have to end. People must not talk needlessly. There were big losses for us, not just innocent Kenyans but security agents too. What would you have done different from the way we approached it? ", he posed.
Kimaiyo also feels that this is a safer Kenya, a year after the attacks.
" We have been working round the clock to ensure the country is safe and so far, I think we have done our best, even though we continue to ensure that all places in the country are safe from renewed threats" , he says.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.