Kimaiyo ordered to ensure Akasha’s extradition follows procedure.
18 November 2014, 22:57
Nairobi - A Mombasa court has ordered the inspector general of police David Kimaiyo to ensure that the Akasha son and two other men in police custody are not taken outside the jurisdiction of the court without a court order in place.
Senior resident Maxwell Gicheru gave the orders after the respondents’ lawyers Cliff Ombeta and Ngaibuni Gikandi had alleged that Ibrahim Akasha Abdalla was removed from the police custody at the port police in Mombasa and taken to Nairobi without the knowledge of his lawyer.
Gicheru said that there was no evidence given to back the allegations made by the defense lawyer he also said that the court had earlier not specified which police station the accused were to be held.
The defense lawyers had made the application after they said that they feared that the four suspects might be extradited to the United States of America without following the right procedures and ordered for the summoning of the investigating officers.
“Somebody must be saved with an order to whom we will hold him responsible if the four are taken away without an order “said Gikandi.
Gikandi said accused the Kenyan authorities of taking orders from the American government he added that ‘unless firm orders are made it seems proceedings will be rendered invalid.
In sworn an affidavit informed that the court the IO Hamisi Massa said that Abdalla was moved from the port police to Nairobi but was still under the custody of the national police service.
Massa also denied the allegations that the four suspects were taken out of police custody by the American agents.
He reveled that there was a search at the 4th respondent home in Nairobi where the police recovered ammunition at the house.
However the assistant director of public prosecution Alexander Muteti denied the allegation.
Muteti said that the four are in the hand of the national police service and it is the responsibility of the police to ensure there security.
He said the Kenyan government has no intention of extraditing the four suspected without following the right procedures.
“The Dpp has made it clear that we must follow the rule and remain with the restrictions of the law” said Muteti
Muteti denied the allegations that the Kenyan government was taking orders fro the American government following the arrest o the four suspects.
The case will continue on November 19 2014 where the defense lawyers are set to make bond renewal application for the four.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.