Kidero cuts short Qatar trip as Nairobi chokes in flood waters
13 May 2015, 18:48
Nairobi - Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has cut short his trip to Qatar to address the ongoing flooding situation in the capital city.
The Governor was in Doha Qatar where he was attending a series of conferences and meetings on governance and management.
He has now headed back to the country to deal with the flooding issues that left many city residents stuck on the roads for hours Monday and Tuesday.
The Nairobi County Government meanwhile on Wednesday said it has set up a KES 50 million emergency recovery fund to deal with the current problems.
This will be added to the order by the national Government to have National Youth Service Personnel unblock drainage's in the city.
County Executive Committee Member for Roads,
Transport and Public Works, Mohamed Abdullahi said the kitty will be
used to unblock clogged drainage systems in various parts of the county as well as repair certain roads that have been damaged by the flooding.
" This will help move things forward in the interim but we are looking for ways of engaging more long term solutions to these problems," he said.
Kidero had earlier in the day issued an apology to Nairobi residents for the flooding and said he would work with other agencies to ensure the problem disappears as soon as possible.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.